Live in Manager required for Rodmell Food Forest – starting in March
A paid position managing and developing this food forest is now available.
The role involves overseeing all aspects of the project from March to November 2017, including:
- Maintaining the existing food forest gardens and plans
- Managing the WWOOFer volunteers
- Liaising with the site residents
The site has been being developed since 2012, following an ongoing permaculture design by Peter Cow. Peter visits seasonally, and will be involved in the role’s induction, as will the outgoing food forest manager.
The food forest incorporates hugel beds with leaf crops and annual and perennial vegetables, young fruit trees underplanted with annuals and ground covers, a nitrogen fixing wind break, badger and rabbit proof fencing, wildlife features and a potting shed. The site also hosts a stable yard nearby, and the food forest regularly receives lots of horse manure for mulching and compost making.
The site is located on top of the South Downs near Lewes, in the National Park.
The successful applicants will –
- Have experience with permaculture design and organic growing techniques
- Ideally have previous experience with biodynamic growing, or at least an interest in learning about this
- Have good people skills and personal organisation skills
- Be able to cook
- Be a non-smoker
- Be available to move in at the start of March and stay until November.
The position includes accommodation on site in a private bedroom in a deluxe wooden cabin which also houses an open plan kitchen/living room that is shared with the visiting WWOOFers. There is a basement games room available in the main house with a table tennis table and space for yoga etc. Full details of wages and expected weekly hours are available on application.
The position may be renewed in 2018.
Please send a CV of relevant activities and qualifications, and details of how you meet the above criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 7th for consideration.